8:30am - 5:30pm


8:30am - 5:30pm


8:30am - 5:30pm


8:30am - 5:30pm


8:30am - 5:30pm


9:00am - 5:00pm



Hours in PST

Why Should You Buy Tenant Insurance?

Don’t Underestimate the Importance of Tenant Insurance!

We’ve all heard those horror stories of tenants left with nothing after a fire, all because they neglected to secure tenant insurance for their precious belongings.

No one wants to be the subject of that story. Fortunately, there are so many options for apartment insurance policies now, and they are available to ensure you are not left uncovered if a catastrophe hits.

Tenant Insurance The Home Insurance People

What is Tenant Insurance?

Tenant (or renters) insurance is an easy-to-buy policy that can cost less than $20 a month. This policy can cover everything you own in your suite and be tailored to your individual needs. For example, your rapidly expanding guitar collection. Your contents can be insured either on or off-premises, depending on what you are using them for. You can even add coverage for your daily commuter bike to be insured for theft when it’s chained outside your office.

What else does Tenant Insurance do for me?

Say you leave your kitchen sink running and flood your suite. In most scenarios, your landlord’s insurance company will automatically sue you for the damage, whether your landlord wants to or not. Apartment insurance will automatically include liability coverage to protect you in this situation.

Why can’t my landlord cover me?

Your landlord’s insurance will rarely cover you for contents or liability insurance, even if you rent a basement suite in someone’s home. Most leases require tenant insurance proof before the landlord rents to you.

Holding insurance can be a big selling point for a landlord, which can be helpful in a low-vacancy rental market.

Buy Tenant Insurance The Home Insurance People

RELATED: Renters Insurance 201-The Intermediate Guide

What do I need to know before getting a quote?

When you get a quote, you’ll need to provide your name, address, and any detail of your insurance history. You’ll also need to estimate your contents’ replacement cost. In other words, you need to tell us how much it would cost to go out and replace everything you own if there was a claim. This can be tricky if it’s your first time being insured; check out the Insurance Bureau of Canada’s website for some helpful hints on how to do this http://www.ibc.ca/pe/home/risk-management/home-inventory


More Information About Tenant Insurance


Contact Us!

If you live in Alberta or British Columbia and are looking for Home Insurance, we are here to answer any questions you may have about our range of home insurance products and services. Contact us at 1.844.544.4663 and see what makes us Harbord – The Home Insurance People™!

More Home Insurance News


Explore our Ads

We have lots of fun creating promotions, and just want to share the joy! Click on any of the icons below to peruse our collection of ongoing advertising campaigns.

Please Note

We are currently experiencing problems with our telephone system. Please try calling us again later or sending an email to [email protected]. We apologize for the inconvenience and we appreciate your patience!